Stations 5 Stations 21
Stations 18 Stations 25
 

A year of Volunteering at Kensington!

What does a year of volunteering at Kensington look like? Have a look!

www.youtube.com/watch


We are always searching for new Volunteers and have many benefits such as Live-In and Scholarship opportunities! Please give us a call at (301) 929-8000 for more information.


   


 

Box Alarm

Friday, August 1, 2014  Just before midnight units from Kensington, Rockville, and surrounding areas responded for the report of an apartment fire on Burnside Drive. The Volunteer Duty Chief arrived to find fire showing from a second floor apartment with the building not evacuated. Units made a quick knock of the fire. Two occupants were transported to a hospital for burn evaluations.



   


 

Fire Department Softball

Thursday, July 31, 2014  We along with many other Volunteer Fire Departments throughout the county have been playing a friendly summer league softball season.  Tonight culminated the series of Tuesday Night double headers since April.  We would like to extend our congratulations to our neighbors at the Laytonsville District Volunteer Fire Department for winning the league playoffs.  After winning the division, we finished in second place for the playoffs, and can’t wait for next summer so we can try to come in first!  Congrats Laytonsville!

     



 

End of an Era

Friday, July 25, 2014  It is with sadness that we announce as of July 24, 2014 Glenmont Company 18 has been demolished.  As you are aware the state of Maryland had taken over the property to make way for the impending roads project.  



     



 

Building Fire

Saturday, July 12, 2014 2215  17800 Block of Georgia Ave




Units from Kensington and surrounding areas responded to Sandy Spring for the report of a building fire in the 17800 Block of Georgia Ave.  E740 arrived on the scene to find a Giant Food Trailer involved in fire.  The trailer was connected to the building via the loading dock.  E740 quickly called for a second alarm.  Chief 705-Charlie (Connell) and BC704 (Howard-Richards) arrived simultaneously and  BC704 established command.  C705 (Heflin) arrived shortly after and was assigned to the interior group.  Units on the inside found no fire extension however there was moderate smoke throughout.  A quick knock of the trailer, and no extension allowed for the second alarm to be placed in service.  Units cleared in about 3 hours.


Initial: E740 PE704  PE725 PE717 PE728 T725 AT703 A725 C705 C705B C705C C704 BC704 BC703 VBC703

RID: T71... [ more ]

   


 

House Fire

Saturday, July 12, 2014 09:53  3300 block Harrell St (Box 1817)

On Saturday morning units from Kensington and surrounding companies responded to the 3300 Block of Harrell Street for the report of a House Fire.  Chief 705-Bravo (Jones) was first arriving and established the command.  Units make quick work of the fire and were clearing by lunch time.




Units: PE721 PE718 PE705B PE723 PE724 AT718 T725 RS742B A721 C705B BC704 BC702

Rid: PAT719 RS703 A742B ALS742

   


 

ENJOY SUMMER SAFELY!



Remember these safety tips while enjoying your holiday safely.
 
 Prevent Fires
• Grill in a safe location. Use grills outside in an open area. Regardless of whether you use a propane or charcoal grill, never cook on a wooden deck or within ten feet of a structure (e.g., your home). In addition, do not grill in a garage, porch or other enclosed space. Make sure to keep your grill in good working condition and remember to check propane grills for gas leaks. For more information, visit http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Newsroom/News-Releases/1997/CPSC-Releases-Grill-Safety-Tips.
• Use fire pits properly. If you plan to use a fire pit during your celebration, be sure to put out the fire completely before leaving it unattended.
• Set campfires safely. If camping is on your to-do list during the holiday weekend, make sure to only build campfi... [ more ]

   


 

Grill Safety Tips

Monday, April 14, 2014 


Fire in the grill, under hot dogs, burgers and steaks, is a welcome sight in the upcoming grilling season. But fire anywhere else can make your summer kick-off barbecue memorable for all the wrong reasons.

• Propane & charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.

• The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.

• Keep children and pets away from the grill area.

• Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.

• Never leave your grill unattended.

Charcoal grills

• There are several ways to get the charcoal rea... [ more ]

   


 

KVFD Places a New Engine in Service

Saturday, April 12, 2014 

The Kensington Volunteer Fire Dept is proud to dedicate our new 2014 Pierce Pumper Engine #705B at Station 5. This new pumper is dedicated to our late Deputy Fire Chief Bob "BT" Tantardini and the $600K purchase was funded ENTIRELY from donations and the hard work of members of KVFD.

Our dedication ceremony included comments from our Town of Kensington Mayor Peter Fosselman, MD State Delegate Al Carr, President Steven R. Semler and Fire Chief Jayme Heflin.

Following the blessing of the apparatus by KVFD Chaplin Tom Claxton, the first engine crew took possession of the engine. In that crew, nearly 200 years of experience and pride manned the seats of this extraordinary piece of firefighting gear.

Three cheers to the members of our Apparatus Committee as well!




     
Nearly 200 years of experience in that first Engine 705B crew

Nearly 200 years of experience in that
      first Engine 705B crew

KVFD Pres. Steven Semler, MD Delegate Al Carr and Mayor Peter Fosselman join with BT Tantardini's family and Chief Jayme Heflin in dedicating the new Engine.

KVFD Pres. Steven Semler, MD Delegate Al
      Carr and Mayor Peter Fosselman join with
      BT Tantardini's family and Chief Jayme
      Heflin in dedicating the new Engine.



 

Honors to Our Own Marcine Goodloe

KVFD is proud that again, on March 14th, one of our own was honored by the Montgomery Co. Chamber of Commerce at the 40th Public Safety Awards Luncheon with the Chief Leslie B. Thompson Community Service Award.

Marcine Goodloe’s commitment to the fire service and the Montgomery Co. Volunteer Fire and Rescue Assn (MCVFRA) is without peer. After a full and robust career in the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service as the Executive Secretary for DFRS, she served as Executive Director for the Fire Rescue Commission. After her retirement, she continued to actively serve in KVFD and as President of the MCVFRA.

In addition to working tirelessly on legislative matters at County and State levels, Marcine is currently serving an unprecedented tenth term as MCVFRA President.

KVFD salutes Marcine Goodloe who shows us every day that excellence in leadership is not just a once in a while thing.

   


 
 
 

Search for news stories :

Select Year Select Month
Select Category Enter Keyword