Stations 5 Stations 21
Stations 18 Stations 25
 

End of an Era

Friday, July 25, 2014  It is with sadness that we announce as of July 24, 2014 Glenmont Company 18 has been demolished.  As you are aware the state of Maryland had taken over the property to make way for the impending roads project.  



     



 

Building Fire

Saturday, July 12, 2014 2215  17800 Block of Georgia Ave




Units from Kensington and surrounding areas responded to Sandy Spring for the report of a building fire in the 17800 Block of Georgia Ave.  E740 arrived on the scene to find a Giant Food Trailer involved in fire.  The trailer was connected to the building via the loading dock.  E740 quickly called for a second alarm.  Chief 705-Charlie (Connell) and BC704 (Howard-Richards) arrived simultaneously and  BC704 established command.  C705 (Heflin) arrived shortly after and was assigned to the interior group.  Units on the inside found no fire extension however there was moderate smoke throughout.  A quick knock of the trailer, and no extension allowed for the second alarm to be placed in service.  Units cleared in about 3 hours.


Initial: E740 PE704  PE725 PE717 PE728 T725 AT703 A725 C705 C705B C705C C704 BC704 BC703 VBC703

RID: T71... [ more ]

   


 

House Fire

Saturday, July 12, 2014 09:53  3300 block Harrell St (Box 1817)

On Saturday morning units from Kensington and surrounding companies responded to the 3300 Block of Harrell Street for the report of a House Fire.  Chief 705-Bravo (Jones) was first arriving and established the command.  Units make quick work of the fire and were clearing by lunch time.




Units: PE721 PE718 PE705B PE723 PE724 AT718 T725 RS742B A721 C705B BC704 BC702

Rid: PAT719 RS703 A742B ALS742

   


 

ENJOY SUMMER SAFELY!



Remember these safety tips while enjoying your holiday safely.
 
 Prevent Fires
• Grill in a safe location. Use grills outside in an open area. Regardless of whether you use a propane or charcoal grill, never cook on a wooden deck or within ten feet of a structure (e.g., your home). In addition, do not grill in a garage, porch or other enclosed space. Make sure to keep your grill in good working condition and remember to check propane grills for gas leaks. For more information, visit http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Newsroom/News-Releases/1997/CPSC-Releases-Grill-Safety-Tips.
• Use fire pits properly. If you plan to use a fire pit during your celebration, be sure to put out the fire completely before leaving it unattended.
• Set campfires safely. If camping is on your to-do list during the holiday weekend, make sure to only build campfi... [ more ]

   


 

Grill Safety Tips

Monday, April 14, 2014 


Fire in the grill, under hot dogs, burgers and steaks, is a welcome sight in the upcoming grilling season. But fire anywhere else can make your summer kick-off barbecue memorable for all the wrong reasons.

• Propane & charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.

• The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.

• Keep children and pets away from the grill area.

• Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.

• Never leave your grill unattended.

Charcoal grills

• There are several ways to get the charcoal rea... [ more ]

   


 

KVFD Places a New Engine in Service

Saturday, April 12, 2014 

The Kensington Volunteer Fire Dept is proud to dedicate our new 2014 Pierce Pumper Engine #705B at Station 5. This new pumper is dedicated to our late Deputy Fire Chief Bob "BT" Tantardini and the $600K purchase was funded ENTIRELY from donations and the hard work of members of KVFD.

Our dedication ceremony included comments from our Town of Kensington Mayor Peter Fosselman, MD State Delegate Al Carr, President Steven R. Semler and Fire Chief Jayme Heflin.

Following the blessing of the apparatus by KVFD Chaplin Tom Claxton, the first engine crew took possession of the engine. In that crew, nearly 200 years of experience and pride manned the seats of this extraordinary piece of firefighting gear.

Three cheers to the members of our Apparatus Committee as well!




     
Nearly 200 years of experience in that first Engine 705B crew

Nearly 200 years of experience in that
      first Engine 705B crew

KVFD Pres. Steven Semler, MD Delegate Al Carr and Mayor Peter Fosselman join with BT Tantardini's family and Chief Jayme Heflin in dedicating the new Engine.

KVFD Pres. Steven Semler, MD Delegate Al
      Carr and Mayor Peter Fosselman join with
      BT Tantardini's family and Chief Jayme
      Heflin in dedicating the new Engine.



 

Honors to Our Own Marcine Goodloe

KVFD is proud that again, on March 14th, one of our own was honored by the Montgomery Co. Chamber of Commerce at the 40th Public Safety Awards Luncheon with the Chief Leslie B. Thompson Community Service Award.

Marcine Goodloe’s commitment to the fire service and the Montgomery Co. Volunteer Fire and Rescue Assn (MCVFRA) is without peer. After a full and robust career in the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service as the Executive Secretary for DFRS, she served as Executive Director for the Fire Rescue Commission. After her retirement, she continued to actively serve in KVFD and as President of the MCVFRA.

In addition to working tirelessly on legislative matters at County and State levels, Marcine is currently serving an unprecedented tenth term as MCVFRA President.

KVFD salutes Marcine Goodloe who shows us every day that excellence in leadership is not just a once in a while thing.

   


 

Building Fire

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 06:11


On Wednesday Morning, units from Montgomery County and Kensington responded to the Washington Gas facility located in the 11800 Block of Nebel Street in Rockville.

First arriving units, from Rockville Company 23, found a working fire inside the "shop" area of the facility.  Upon further investigation the units from Company 23 found multiple natural gas fueled auto's on fire inside in the building.  Chief 705 (Heflin) arrived on the scene and assumed the command.  Due to the reports of explosions inside the building, the heavy fire load and the close proximity of other buildings, command requested a second alarm.   

Initial: PE723 PE721 E705 PE718 E726 AT723 AT718 RS742B A723 BC702 (Doyle) BC704 (Deibler/Polikoff) C705 (Heflin) K705D (Connell)

RID: RS703 AT703 M723

2ND: PE703B E720 PE725 PE719 AT751 T725 M742 Air716 Canteen 733


 more ]

     



 

First Annual Chili Cook Off

Sunday, February 9, 2014 1600


On Sunday February 9th, The Town of Kensington hosted its first annual Chili Cook Off.  Who better to judge a cook off in the town, then its very own firefighters?  The event was a huge success bringing in over 200 people despite the bad weather.  As always, we cannot wait till the spring when we can get out and enjoy our town with our neighbors!



     



 

Back to Basics Training

Saturday, February 1, 2014 0800 Thanks to Deputy Fire Chief Carter, members spent this Saturday Morning conducting three different "back to basics" scenarios.   Members went rotated through; a hose line down the stairs, then having to force a door in poor visibility; a metal cutting station; and finally and downed firefighter and rapid intervention drill.  All members successfully completed the training and we even had some time to show our EMS members how to force a door. 

During the afternoon, MFF Oudshoorn conducted an engine company operators test for FF Hussain.  FF Hussain successfully completed this exam, and is now well on his way to becoming our newest Engine Company Driver.  

     



 
 
 

Search for news stories :

Select Year Select Month
Select Category Enter Keyword